Johann and his wife Anna were among a group of immigrants from Dormitz Bavaria arriving in 1842. Their two story log home became the gathering place where the traveling missionary for Washington County would offer mass and provide the sacraments. They donated a portion of their land to the Milwaukee Diocese to build a church. This was the first location of St. Boniface. The log church was built and used until a larger church was built at its current location. A two story addition was added to the house in 1903, with a more recent two story addition being completed in 2004. The home remained in the Knetzger family until 1986. This homestead is also a Washington County Landmark.
This homestead received Germantown Historic Designation in 2007