SMART System & Discipline Policy
The goal for our program is for everyone to have a safe and enjoyable time! In order to do this successfully, we have established a Discipline Policy and new SMART System, which is followed by all supervisors involved in the program. Here are the SMART System expectations:
- S - Safe actions
- M - Make good choices
- A - Attitude - choose a good one
- R - Respect mutually
- T - Tolerate, appreciate, and accept others
The SMART System has a visual plan to show these choices. At each site will be a colored “stoplight,” with each color having a meaning as listed below:
- White: Awesome job! You are having a great day!
- Green: Good job! You needed some reminders, but your day is still good!
- Yellow: Slow down and think! There have been some problems that we need to discuss.
- Orange: Last chance to think SMART! You really need to stop and think to make better choices.
- Red: We have a serious problem that needs to be dealt with at a higher level.
If a child does not adhere to the rules of the program set forth by the leaders, he/she will receive the following consequences:
- First Warning - Clothespin stays on white
- Second Warning - Clothespin moves to green
- Third Warning - Clothespin moves to yellow
- The participant must take a timeout to think. He/She must fill out a SMART sheet and discuss their behaviors with a leader. The SMART sheet must be signed, and he/she will go home to be discussed with a parent.
- Fourth Warning - Clothespin moves to orange
- The participant will receive a call to the parents and the child will lose a privilege.
- Fifth Warning - Clothespin moves to red
- The participant will have a conversation with the program coordinators and further action will be taken as necessary.